Zucchini noodles? Yes! They are terrific. If eliminating pasta is too much of a switch all at once for your family, try this recipe. Half zucchini noodles and half pasta noodles – a terrific combination.
Recently I wrote about how to make zucchini noodles. To make them, you will need a fun tool called a spiral vegetable slicer. Zucchini noodles are a playful way to introduce more healthy vegetables into your diet.
Pasta: Brown Rice or Whole Wheat
If the leap to all zucchini noodles is a stretch for your family, or if you still want to include grains, try this: use half as much spaghetti and mix in zucchini noodles. Choose either gluten-free spaghetti, made from brown rice, or whole grain wheat pasta.
Cook one ounce of dried spaghetti per person and mix it with your zucchini noodles, half and half. You are eating half the pasta, and adding a healthy dose of vegetables. How to know how much pasta you are cooking? You need a digital kitchen scale. It’s an invaluable tool for any kitchen.
A note on gluten-free pasta. If you have had brown rice pasta that is mushy and falls apart, here is the solution. Track down Jovial brand in the green box. It is fantastic. Trust me. It is all I will buy. It’s available at many stores and online.
Roasting tomatoes to go with the pasta is easy and takes 20-25 minutes. You can even make them several days ahead. Make more than you think you need. With a concentrated, natural sweetness, plus lots of fresh herbs, garlic and olive oil, they are so tasty you will eat more than you think!
Roasted tomatoes are versatile in terms of what you can do with them. See this post for the recipe and directions.
Zucchini Noodles with Pasta and Roasted Tomatoes
Serves: 2 (doubles easily)
- 1 recipe roasted tomatoes
- 2 ounces spaghetti (brown rice or whole wheat)
- 1 large zucchini (about 8 ounces)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 large shallot, sliced into thin rings
- 2 large garlic cloves, minced
- Fresh chopped parsley, oregano or basil leaves
- 2 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese (optional)
- Pre-heat oven to 375° (190° C) and roast tomatoes following recipe. When done roasting, keep tomatoes warm.
- Bring a pot of water to boil for the spaghetti and spiral slice your zucchini noodles.
- Heat olive oil in a medium sauté pan over medium low heat and add shallot. Cook , stirring, until shallot rings are softened. Add garlic and cook 1 minute.
- Add zucchini noodles to the pan and cook 2-3 minutes or until softened. Add the pasta, tomatoes, herbs and toss together. Place in shallow bowls to serve. If desired, drizzle with a little more olive oil and a sprinkle of Parmesan cheese.
Subscribe via RSS or
This post contains links to Affiliate Programs, where I may receive a small commission for any purchases.