A few weeks ago I was playing with my spiral vegetable slicer. Sure, I use it for spaghetti-style zucchini noodles, but what about the other blades? I put in the long, thin slicing blade and got beautiful thin zucchini ribbons. Those ribbons made wonderful raw salads for lunch and dinner.
How to Make Zucchini Ribbons
Don’t yet have a spiralizer or spiral slicer? They are a fun and inexpensive tool, and a great way to get more vegetables into your diet in the form of noodles and ribbons. You can find them on Amazon. Here is a link. They are especially handy if you eat low carb or grain-free and pass on carb-based noodles like pasta.
They come with 3 blades. The long, straight slicing blade turns zucchini into beautiful, thin ribbons. They are wonderful raw. I just tossed them with a little homemade pesto and added some tomatoes. In a hurry you could use a good store bought pesto, but homemade doesn’t take long with a food processor.
Easy Homemade Basil Pesto
Basil pesto is easy to make at home with just a few ingredients and a food processor. Basil leaves, pine nuts. olive oil, Parmesan cheese, lemon juice and garlic. You can omit the cheese for vegans or dairy-free diners. If you need a recipe, read this post.
Tips for Serving
To serve, slice your zucchini into ribbons, then toss with about three tablespoons of pesto. If it seems dry at all, add a teaspoon of olive oil to the mix and toss with your hands, gently. Add the tomatoes and serve topped with sliced grilled chicken or fish. It’s also great as a lunch all alone or as a side dish. A sprinkle of grated Parmesan is good too, especially if you love Parm like I do.
Dress the ribbons just before serving so they stay crisp and don’t get soggy.
For another dressing option, toss the with my Asian Almond Sauce.
Zucchini Ribbon Salad with Pesto
- 4 medium zucchini 2 pounds
- 20-24 grape or small cherry tomatoes halved
- 3-4 tablespoons basil pesto preferably homemade (recipe here
- 2 tablespons grate Parmesan cheese optional
- Fresh basil leaves to garnish optional
- Salt and black pepper to taste
- Wash zucchini, trim off ends and place in a spiral slicer fitted with the long slicing blade. Turn zucchini until long ribbons are created. Do with all four zucchini.
- Place zucchini ribbons in a bowl and toss gently with the pesto. Add the tomatoes. Top with grated Parmesan if using and a sprinkle of salt and pepper. Garnish with fresh basil leaves.