Cheesy-tasting but no cheese? Yes! This versatile, dairy free cheesy sprinkle tastes sort of like Parmesan. You might call it vegan parmesan. Its wonderful for people who either choose not to or just can’t eat dairy. It has that savory, pleasant, “umami” flavor, that magical fifth taste after sweet, salty, sour and bitter. Make some today. There are lots of ways to enjoy it.
Vegan Dairy Free Cheesy Sprinkle
While cooking for a dairy-sensitive client, I created a non-dairy, cheesy tasting Parmesan replacement sprinkle with raw cashews, granulated garlic, sea salt, and nutritional yeast. The recipe makes 21 tablespoons and will last in the fridge for months…well, not really because you will use it faster once you try it. It’s become a mainstay pantry item in my fridge.
How to Make Cheesy Sprinkle
Just place all ingredients in a food processor and process until finely ground, a minute or two.
Be sure to by raw cashews, not salted or roasted. For nutritional yeast, the brand I use Sari Foods. It is non-GMO, organic, gluten-free and is not fortified with synthetic vitamins. You can read more about nutritional yeast on this post. Sari Food Nutritional Yeast is available on Amazon. There may be other good brands, but be sure the are not GMO. Also buy unfortified (no synthetic vitamins added).
Granulated garlic is salt free, pure garlic. Its available just about everywhere these days. I buy mine from Savory Spice Shop, a terrific place for all of your dried herbs, spice and extract needs. I should just open a store.
What To Do With Dairy Free Cheesy Sprinkle
Make a batch in a minute, then use it to make other recipes or use on its own. You will find lots of ways to enjoy it.
- Use it on popcorn popped with coconut oil
- Mix it with fresh chopped parsley and finely chopped chives for a cheesy herb blend
- Sprinkle it over potatoes
- Use it in dressings and dips
- Sprinkle atop grilled, roasted or steamed vegetables
- Mix with mayonnaise or Vegenaise (organic style) as a dipping sauce
- Use wherever you might use Parmesan
- Sprinkle over salads
- Toss with rice or pasta and fresh chopped herbs
- Mix into polenta or grits for dairy free cheesy grits
- Toss with scrambled eggs for cheesy eggs
Dairy Free Cheesy Sprinkle
- 1 cup raw cashews 5 1/2 ounces
- 1/4 cup nutritional yeast
- 3/4 teaspoon granulated garlic
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- Put all ingredients in a food processor and process until finely ground.
- Store in a tightly covered container in the refrigerator. It lasts a month or more.