Easy lemon hummus became a quick snack for hungry family while I was preparing dinner. A food processor makes it fast and creamy. Serve with raw vegetables or crackers. I add lemon and cumin to this irresistible Mediterranean classic spread.
Hummus is so easy to make. The ingredients are easy to keep on hand in your pantry and it can be made quickly for a fast snack or lunch. Store-made hummus is often bland with little flavor so make it yourself.
Lemon Hummus Ingredients
In addition to the beans, tahini paste and olive oil I make mine with lots of fresh squeezed lemon juice, garlic and ground cumin for lots of flavor. Add the lemon zest for even more lemon flavor. For your shopping list:
- Garbanzo beans: Read labels and choose a low-sodium or no salt added brand to reduce sodium. They are also called chickpeas.
- Tahini: Sesame seed paste or butter, creamy and useful for many things besides hummus. It's a nice addition to vinaigrettes to make them creamy. Stir well to incorporate the oil as it tends to separate.
- Lemons: Fresh is best for bright citrus flavor.
- Ground cumin: A staple in cuisines around the world, especially Mediterranean, Mexican, Southwestern, and Middle Eastern. Can't live without it! Be sure you buy ground not whole seed.
- Olive oil: A fruity extra virgin olive oil is nice in hummus.
Puree Smooth in a Food Processor
Toss everything into the food processor and puree away until a smooth creamy mixture is achieved. Hummus keeps well in the refrigerator for a few days.
Easy lemon hummus can be served with whole grain crackers, toasted pita wedges or crudités for a snack or party appetizer. It can also be made more stiff and scooped into whole wheat pocket bread for a sandwich or into lettuce leaves for wraps. Try it on of crisp salad greens with cucumber and tomatoes for a healthy salad.
Easy Lemon Hummus
- 2 15 ounce cans garbanzo beans rinsed and drained
- 2 tablespoons Tahini sesame seed paste
- 2 large lemons juiced
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin more or less to taste
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 6 tablespoons olive oil
- 1-2 tablespoons warm water if needed to thin
- Place all ingredients (except water) in a food processor fitted with a steel knife. Puree until smooth. If it’s too thick, add a bit more olive oil or 1-2 tablespoons of warm water to thin as desired. Refrigerate until ready to use.