Hot weather calls for cool salads, and here’s an unbeatable classic with a twist – lemon chicken salad with fresh chopped dill. Stuff into pitas, pile on English muffins, scoop into lettuce leaves or stuff into a tomato. It’s always good.
Classic, Cool, Chicken Salad
Chicken salad is one of my favorite things to make with leftover roast chicken. No leftover chicken? Roast a couple of bone-in chicken breasts. It will take about 30 minutes (depending on their size).
Line a rimmed baking sheet with foil for faster cleanup. With sharp, heavy knife or cleaver, whack off the small ribs and discard. Pre-heat oven to 375º.
Season chicken and roast until chicken reaches 165º internally. Allow chicken to cool until you can handle it, remove the skin and discard, then pull off the meat in big pieces and dice into cubes.
While the chicken is roasting, chop up the celery, onion, dill, and slice up the tomatoes. Ready your pita, muffin halves or however you are going to serve the chicken salad. It’s great all by itself too for a lower carb, gluten-free option.
The Daniel Plan Cookbook
As one of the Daniel Plan Signature Chefs, I created this recipe for The Daniel Plan Cookbook. It’s available on Amazon. The Daniel Plan Cookbook is filled with over 100 easy, delicious recipes that help you to live a healthy life. It proves that healthy eating is not boring or about deprivation but about enjoyment and abundance.
The cookbook follows the principles of the New York Times best-seller, The Daniel Plan: 40 Day to a Healthier Life. It guides readers on how to harness the power of faith, food, fitness, focus and friends to create a healthy life, forever.
The Daniel Plan is not a diet, but a way of life. Weight loss happens to be one of the blessings, which many of the thousands of people who have followed this plan will attest to. To learn more, click the link above and it will take you to the full Daniel Plan site. When you buy the cookbook, get a copy of The Daniel Plan as well.
Lemon Chicken Salad Pita | The Daniel Plan
- 3 cups chopped cooked chicken breast about 1 pound
- 4 celery ribs chopped fine
- 4 tablespoons finely chopped red onion
- 1 tablespoon fresh chopped dill leaves thyme or mint work too
- 4 tablespoons Vegenaise or healthy mayonnaise
- A few squeezes of fresh lemon juice
- Salt and pepper lemon pepper works great too, to taste
- 2 large whole wheat pitas sliced in half
- Red lettuce leaves
- Sliced tomato optional
- In a medium bowl, gently mix chicken, celery, onion, dill, mayonnaise, lemon juice, salt and pepper together. Fill each pita half with lettuce leaf, a slice or two of tomato (if using), then a quarter of the chicken salad.