Start your morning a healthy glass of creamy green goodness. Here is my latest smoothie obsession – the matcha avocado smoothie, with not one but four kinds of green goodness. And, it’s both anti-aging and detoxing! How can you beat that?
Matcha Avocado Smoothie
Because I’ve been drinking smoothies daily for the better part of 20 years, I am always creating new combinations and flavors. Green smoothies have become our favorite. Green is good, green is healthy, and green is necessary in our diets. So why not get green going at breakfast?
Maybe you’ve heard of green smoothies but never tried one. Maybe just the thought of a green smoothie makes you turn green and scrunch up your face. Let me assure you, let me encourage you, try them! They taste terrific. Honestly. Especially this one. It’s a beautiful vivid green color and it’s screaming healthy.
Because I really want you to understand the power of whats in this smoothie, I’ve probably gone overboard listing health benefits, but here goes. You can always skip to the recipe.
The Health Benefits of Matcha Green Tea Powder
Matcha is top quality, finely ground, whole leaf Japanese green tea. It’s the famous tea used for centuries for the Japanese team ceremony. Whether we drink it as tea or add the powder to a smoothie, we consume the whole leaf and all of its goodness. Matcha is incredibly good for you.
Matcha has an earthy, umami taste and is deep lime green in color. The health benefits of matcha include:
- Natural cleansing and detoxifying support from the chlorophyl (why it is that beautiful green)
- Antioxidant and anti-aging power to support our immune system and fight free radical damage to cells (from the potent phytochemical EGCG)
- It contains the amino acid L-theanine, which studies show supports relaxation, stress reduction and improvements in mood and cognition
- Minerals zinc, magnesium and selenium
- Helps revs up our metabolism, supporting weight loss and management
Buy organic matcha at health-oriented markets and online. I use Ezno Organic Matcha because it tastes great and the price is more affordable than some brands, especially the ones labelled “ceremonial” (which are very pricey). Read more about Enzo matcha here.
The Health Benefits of Spirulina Powder
Spiru-what? Spirulina is blue-algae. Now hang in there with me. Not the slimy green stuff you see in the ocean or washed up on shore. Rich, dark emerald green colored spirulina is one of earths true, original superfoods.
- One teaspoon provides 2 grams of plant-based, complete protein
- A wealth of chlorophyll, which helps the body to eliminate toxins and boosts the immune system
- Vitamins and minerals such as B12, K1, K2, and A, iron, potassium, chromium, copper, magnesium, manganese, phosphorus, selenium, sodium, and zinc.
- Another powerful source of antioxidants which fight those free radicals (unstable atoms) that cause so much damage
- Supports eye health
- Supports our immune systems
- Supports healthy digestion and natural detoxification
You can read all about the fantastic health benefits of spirulina on the Nutrex Hawaii site (which is the brand I use). They provide tons of good information. One note – of you are iodine sensitive or allergic, do not use spirulina.
The Rest of the Ingredients
For the liquid base I use almond milk. Skip the store stuff, which often has additives you don’t want like carrageenan. Homemade is SO easy. Soak raw almonds overnight and puree with fresh water in the morning. The recipe is here.
Choosing protein you can go many ways from plant-based to whey; there are many options. If you are confused about buying a protein powder, read this article for help.
More Green with Avocado & Spinach
For healthy fat and creamy richness I use a quarter of a ripe avocado. I probably don’t need to tell you about how crazy healthy avocados are, but just in case. They are full of vitamins, minerals, have more potassium than a banana, and are loaded with heart-healthy monounsaturated fats. Not enough info? Would you believe those creamy little babies have protein and fiber too? Amazing. For more health benefits read here.
And spinach? You know it’s terrific for us and considered one of the world’s healthiest foods and I won’t go down the Popeye path. Packed with vitamin, minerals, phytonutrients, fiber. More info here if you need it.
The Sweetened Life
For smoothies I use Sweet Drops liquid flavored stevia drops. The vanilla creme and coconut are particularly good and the peppermint is nice too.
Matcha Avocado Smoothie
- 10 ounces unsweetened almond milk preferably homemade, recipe here
- 1-2 scoops protein powder of choice
- 1 large handful baby spinach leaves
- 1/4 of a ripe avocado
- 1 teaspoon matcha green tea powder organic
- 1 teaspoon spirulina powder
- Liquid flavored stevia drops of choice coconut or vanilla are good
- 3-4 ice cubes
- Place all ingredients in a blender and start at a low speed. Build up the speed and puree until smooth and creamy. If it gets too thick, add a little more almond milk or water.