Little golden orbs of buttery delight, that’s what I call Baby Dutch Potatoes. You eat them with the skin on. When you bite into one of these little gems, there is a soft crunch as your teeth break the tender skin, then the buttery-textured interior melts in your mouth. As a potato-lover, my mouth waters thinking about them. Sometimes the simplest dishes are the most satisfying.
Dutch Baby Potatoes
Baby Dutch Potatoes make for an easy and irresistible side dish for roast chicken, grilled steak or pork. What you don’t finish for dinner, turn into potato salad for lunch the next day by adding a little finely diced celery, a spoonful of mayonnaise, a little diced shallot or onion, and a sprinkle of lemon zest. Cook once and enjoy twice. They are great for breakfast with an omelette too.
Simmer Till Tender, Finish in a Pan
To prepare them, simmer potatoes in salted water until tender when pierced through with a sharp paring knife, then drain. Heat a saute pan over medium heat with a little olive oil, butter, salt, pepper, and granulated garlic and roll the potatoes around until browned. Before serving, I toss with lots of fresh chopped herbs for appetizing color, fragrance and flavor. That’s it.
For vegans or people who don’t use dairy, use all olive oil or Earth Balance in the stick form.
Where to Find Them
Baby Dutch potatoes can be found in the produce section of most markets in yellow-netted bags. They are from Los Angeles, California specialty produce supplier, Melissa’s,
The smell of roasting chicken is in the air for dinner, and the potatoes are simmering. Roast chicken and herbed baby Dutch potatoes for dinner tonight. My hungry family is happily waiting.
More potato recipes for you too enjoy
Roasted New Potatoes from Simply Recipes
Use leftover potatoes in a Nicoise Salad
Roasted Klondike Rose Potatoes Recipe w/herbed goat cheese, thyme, from White on Rice Couple
Jacket Potatoes – The French Way, from La Tartine Gourmande
Potato Salad, also from La Tartine Gourmande
A steak salad to go with these potatoes, from Recipe Renovator
Herbed Baby Dutch Potatoes
- 1/1 2 pounds baby Dutch potatoes cleaned and scrubbed
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter or Earth Balance vegan sticks
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon granulate garlic
- 2-3 tablespoons fresh chopped herbs – parsley chives, thyme, oregano, chervil, rosemary, combine as you please
- Place potatoes in a large saucepan with salted cold water. Bring to almost a boil, turn down and simmer on low until tender with pierced with a sharp knife tip.
- When potatoes are tender, drain and set aside in a bowl. Potatoes can be done until this point and hour or two ahead. Keep at room temperature until ready to finish for serving.
- To finish potatoes, warm olive oil and butter in a saute or fry pan over medium heat. When the oil and butter is warm and bubbling, pour in potatoes and season with salt pepper and granulated garlic. As potatoes begin to brown, move the pan around so potatoes brown somewhat evenly. When they are hot and ready to serve, toss with the fresh herbs and serve.