Overnight oats without yogurt: make them simple or make them fancy, either way you have a grab-and-go, easy, healthy breakfast. Overnight oatmeal is great to meal prep too. I make a week's worth at a time. If eating a healthy breakfast is a challenge due to your schedule, try these chia overnight oats. They're a great solution with no cooking required, dairy-free and vegan, made with almond milk.
How to Make Overnight Oats
Overnight oats is handy and healthy because you can make enough for a few days at a time, saving time during busy mornings. Overnight oats with chia seeds has nice texture because the seeds gel, making for a thicker consistency.
Make your preferred variations with this basic recipe for chia overnight oats and check out topping ideas at the end. I experimented with ratios of rolled oats, milk, chia seeds and vanilla but make any adjustments you prefer.
Healthy Overnight Oats Ingredient Tips
- Oats - Buy gluten-free, organic old fashioned rolled oats
- Almond milk - Almond milk keeps this dairy-free, and homemade is the best. Homemade, unstrained almond milk is creamier that store bought. It's super easy to make. See the easy recipe here. You'll never go back store bought again. Make any personal adjustments (more or less milk) for texture with the next batch.
- Chia seeds - Chia seeds make the overnight oats set up nicely and add a little healthy fat and fiber. I prefer the white chia seeds versus the black for overnight oats but either work.
- Sweetener - Try raw agave syrup, maple syrup, date syrup, yacon or raw honey. You can mix it in as the oats set up overnight, or use a little of what you prefer in the morning over the top. For sugar-free, try the liquid stevia drops in vanilla or monk fruit.
- Vanilla - I like the strength of vanilla paste and the little flecks of vanilla bean but vanilla extract works too - regular, double, or alcohol-free. If you love vanilla try the paste.
Best Containers for Overnight Oats
I like the Weck quarter liter (1 cup) jars with clamps. They stack easily in the refrigerator and for storage. The lids fit tight so when you shake to mix, no leakage. Another alternative is the 8 ounce wide-mouth ball jars or glass canning jars.
How to Personalize Overnight Oats
Top overnight oats with raspberries, strawberries, blueberries or blackberries, chopped walnuts, or try my Spiced Apple Compote. Warmed up, it tastes like apple pie for breakfast.
More Tasty Upgrades for Overnight Oats
To spice things up, add a little cinnamon or nutmeg. To increase the protein level, stir in some protein powder or hemp seeds. Raw cacao nibs add nice crunch and fiber, and unsweetened shredded coconut are tasty adds, along with a dollop of creamy cashew better (or almond butter). Another option, use a little canned coconut milk for creaminess and healthy fat.
Vanilla Chia Overnight Oats
- ½ cup traditional rolled oats gluten-free if desired
- 1 tablespoon white chia seeds
- 1 cup unsweetened almond milk preferably homemade
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract or vanilla paste
- 2 teaspoons raw honey, agave, maple, date or yacon syrup optional
- Into a glass container add rolled oats and chia seeds. Add the almond milk, sweetener if using, and vanilla. Stir well or cap tightly and shake well to combine. Place in the refrigerator overnight to set up. Stir in the morning and serve, adding whatever toppings you prefer.