I am crazy about asparagus and always have been. I have to apologize to my husband for my love of the emerald green spears of spring. Sometimes he gives me the look of “asparagus again”? My go-to method for cooking is roasting. So here is how to roast asparagus if you've never done it. It's so easy!
How to Roast Asparagus
To prep asparagus, hold the bottom of the stalk and bend it near the end. It should snap off where the tender part meets the tough part. It takes just a minute to snap the ends off a bunch. If you have a large quantity, snap the ends off a few spears to get an idea of where they are breaking, then line them up and cut them off with a sharp knife.
While you are getting the rest of dinner ready, place asparagus on a foil covered rimmed baking sheet. Drizzle with olive oil and sprinkle with salt and pepper. That’s it. Roast for 3-4 minutes until crisp-tender. Timing will depend on the thickness of the spears.
How to Buy Asparagus
When shopping, choose spears with tight tips. Many markets store asparagus in a tray of water to keep them from drying out. I prefer medium thin stalks; not pencil thin, not fat, but somewhere in between.
The fat spears can be woody; very thin stalks seem to disappear. Plan for about 5 spears per person. When you get home, trim the ends with a knife and place the spears standing up in about in inch of water. They’ll hold for a few days.
How to Dress up Roast Asparagus
After roasting, dress asparagus up with a sprinkle of crisped Prosciutto, grated Parmesan, toasted breadcrumbs (regular or gluten-free), toasted chopped pecans or hazelnuts, fresh chives, parsley, or fresh lemon zest. A classic topping is Hollandaise sauce. Make it your own dish.
For a healthier Hollandaise recipe, try my recipe based on yogurt.
If you have histamine intolerance choose safe garnishes such as chopped or slivered almonds, fresh herbs, gluten-free breadcrumbs, and lemon zest only if it's safe for you.
If you love asparagus, ever made asparagus soup? It's delicious and easy. Here is my dairy-free recipe for asparagus soup.
How to Roast Asparagus
- 1 bundle of asparagus trimmed
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 6 slices Prosciutto sliced thin crosswise and crisped in a non-stick fry pan
- 3-4 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese
- 2 tablespoons oasted breadcrumbs
- 2-3 tablespoons toasted chopped pecans or hazelnuts
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh chives or parsley
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon zest
- Pre-heat oven to 425 degrees. Cover a rimmed baking sheet with foil. Place trimmed spears in a single layer in the baking sheet and drizzle with oil, salt and pepper. Roast for approximately 3-4 minutes until just pierced with the sharp tip of a knife. Roast to your own preference and tenderness.Garnish with optional toppings as preferred.