Cauliflower in a smoothie? Why not! We're doing everything else with this veggie today. Here's a twist on a classic smoothie. Try frozen cauliflower rice instead of ice cubes. It's great! So here is my update to standard strawberry banana smoothies. Try this strawberry banana smoothie with frozen cauliflower rice for a healthy, easy breakfast or post workout refuel.
Discovering the versatility of cauliflower has brought us everything from cauliflower puree in place of mashed potatoes to riced cauliflower in place of rice. It's even been turned into flour for cauliflower pizza crusts. Have you tried it in smoothies yet? Works great.
For measurements please see the recipe card.
- Almond milk: I make homemade (which is super easy), but a store brand will do. The refrigerated ones are better than most of the the boxed kind. Whatever you buy, be sure to read the labels for just water and almonds, no additives.
- Cauliflower: Buy a head and rice it yourself or buy frozen. Notes on how to below.
- Coconut milk: Use thick and creamy canned coconut milk, easy to keep in the pantry, or use all almond milk.
- Strawberries: Buy fresh in season or frozen when not, and choose organic if possible as these little red beauties are always on the high pesticide list.
- Ground flaxseed: Flaxseed adds high quality fat and fiber to smoothies. I grind mine fresh in a little inexpensive spice grinder, or buy it already ground.
- Sweetener: A dropper full berry flavored stevia drops works great, or use a keto simply syrup to keep sugar down and add sweetness.
- Banana: Greenish bananas have lower sugar if using fresh. If they are about to spoil, chop them and freeze on a rimmed baking sheet, then store in an airtight container in the freezer.
- Protein powder of choice: But which one? with so many options it's hard to choose. read this article on how to choose a protein powder, and if you want to know what I'm using these days drop me a comment.
Frozen Cauliflower Rice
You can buy bags of frozen cauliflower rice at most markets, but it's easy to make your own with a food processor.
To make your own, chop up a head of cauliflower and process into cauliflower rice. Spread it on a rimmed baking sheet and freeze, then scoop off and place in an airtight container for the freezer. Without a food processor, grate by hand onto a cutting board or rimmed baking sheet.
If you toss a bag of pre-riced cauliflower into the freezer, it freezes into a lump, but you can break it up with your hands.
A Note on Strawberries and Bananas
Bright red and juicy, strawberries are a low sugar fruit providing many healthy benefits. Strawberries are a great source of vitamin C, fiber, manganese, antioxidants and anti-inflammatory nutrients.
Be sure to buy organic, as conventional strawberries have high levels of pesticide residue. Strawberries are always on the Dirty Dozen list and often the number one worst offender.
For the banana, choose a greenish one. Green bananas are a good source of something called resistant starch, which the friendly bacteria in your gut microbiome love. Green bananas are also lower in sugar than ripe ones.
Special Smoothie Additions
While you can make a simple smoothie with just berries, banana, frozen cauliflower and some almond milk, I like to jazz it up a bit. Try 1 cup of almond milk and ¼ cup of canned coconut milk for creaminess.
Add one scoop of brown rice protein powder for clean, plant-based protein, a tablespoon of organic acacia fiber for more fiber, and sometimes 1-2 tablespoons of ground organic flaxseeds for fiber and protein.
To sweeten, use berry liquid stevia drops by Sweet Leaf or other no-sugar or sugar options.
More Smoothie Recipes!
If you make this please comment and let me know how you like it, and please give it a star rating, it's very helpful.
Strawberry Banana Smoothie with Frozen Cauliflower Rice
- 1 cup almond milk
- ½ cup frozen riced cauliflower
- ¼ cup canned coconut milk or use all almond milk
- 5 whole strawberries
- 2 tablespoons ground flaxseed optional
- ½ dropper full berry flavored stevia drops
- ½ small greenish banana
- 1-2 scoops protein powder of choice
- Add all ingredients to a high powered blender in the order given.
- Blend until desired texture and serve.
Leave a Reply