I make this spicy, tasty 10 minute turkey taco filling on a regular basis for lunch or dinner and decided it was time to post it for you. It’s so good and you can even make it ahead and reheat or freeze. Cook 1 pound of ground turkey to fill 8 tacos for 4 servings. We use gluten-free, grain-free cassava tortillas for soft tacos but you can also serve it in lettuce cups or corn tortillas.
10 Minute Turkey Taco Filling
Chop up some onion and a few cloves of garlic and cook until soft in a little oil. Add the spices and cook 1 minute more, then add the turkey. Cook until no longer pink, breaking it up with a wooden spatula as it cooks, 7-8 minutes. Towards the end of cooking add ketchup and a tablespoon of water to make sure the spices are not stuck on the bottom of the pan and to keep the meat juicy and moist. That’s it!
I originally had chopped tomato and tomatillo in the recipe but simplified it. Optionally you can add a little chopped tomato or chopped tomatillo for more flavor. Sauté with the onion or add at the end then stir just to heat through with the cooked turkey. But you don’t have to; simple is good.
The Spices & Chilies
What makes this taco filling so delicious is the spices. I’ve included my Taco Seasoning Mix recipe below, which makes extra. Bold flavor with just a little heat. And it’s good with shrimp, chicken and other dishes too, not just tacos.
How To Serve 10 Minute Turkey Taco Filling
Serve 10 minute turkey taco filling in butter lettuce leaves for a no-grain or paleo approach or tortillas of choice. We like the cassava tortillas for soft tacos. For garnishes, top with chopped cilantro, chopped tomatoes, finely sliced cabbage, diced avocado and grated cheese if you enjoy dairy. Lime wedges are nice too. Make this ahead on a Sunday to use during the week. 10 minute turkey taco filling will hold for up to 4 days refrigerated and it freezes great.
More Recipe Ideas
10 Minute Turkey Taco Filling
Taco Seasoning Mix
- 1 1/2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ancho chili powder
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon coriander
- 1 teaspoon smoked or regular paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon granulated garic sub garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon chipotle chile powder optional, or sub cayenne
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
Turkey Taco Filling
- 1/2 onion chopped
- 1 tablespoon olive or avocado oil
- 2 garlic cloves finely chopped
- 1 1/2 tablespoons taco seasoning mix
- 1 pound ground turkey 93% lean
- 1/4 cup ketchup
- 1 tablespoon water if needed
- Heat a large saute or frying pan over medium heat. Add oil, then add the onion, cooking onion until softened, about 1 minute. Add garlic and cook another 1 minute. Add 1 1/2 tablespoons of the seasoning mix and stir so it is coated in the oil and onion and cook 1 minute.
- Add the turkey to the pan. Cook meat, breaking it up with a wooden spoon and stirring until it is no longer pink, about 7 minutes. Stir in the the ketchup. If it's dry add a tablespoon of water. Stir to heat through, then serve. Makes 8 tacos.