Two of the best things ever to eat, the foods I love, put together: guacamole and chicken salad. Why didn’t I think of this years ago? Avocado, lime, cilantro, and garlic, plus chicken, shallot, celery and shallot. Add a dollop of mayo. Mix it all together and you have guacamole chicken salad.
Guacamole Chicken Salad
We’ve been enjoying this for lunch for the past few weeks. It’s a nice twist on classic chicken salad. Cool, creamy and refreshing against the heat of summer. The avocado really makes it extra delicious. I always have avocados in the house, and usually leftover chicken for salads. Except in this case I poached a couple of boneless, skinless breasts I grabbed at Trader Joes.
If you are really tight on time or just don’t feel like cooking, use store-cooked chicken, but be sure it’s organic.
At first I was pureeing the avocado, mayo, lime juice and other dressing ingredients together and folding in the chicken. Then I made guacamole and added the chicken for a more chunky salad, and voila! It worked great.
Start With Guacamole
Traditional guac is just avocado, lime, maybe some herbs and garlic. Simple stuff. Slice and seed your avocado, then cross hatch the soft green flesh with a knife. Run a spoon under the avocado to release the diced avocado and place in a bowl.
Add finely chopped shallot, lime juice, chopped cilantro, garlic, salt and pepper. Mix it up to make your guacamole.
Finish the Salad
Add cubed cooked chicken breast and a little mayo and celery as you would for a classic chicken salad. For chicken, you can use leftover roast or rotisserie chicken, or poach a couple of chicken breasts. Its takes just 20 minutes and you can do them ahead of time to make salad assembly faster.
How To Poach Chicken Breasts
For how to poach chicken breasts, see this post and recipe. Its an easy technique. Served either warm or cold, poached chicken breasts are versatile for a quick and healthy meal.
To finish the guacamole chicken salad, add the chicken to the bowl and fold into the guacamole. Add a little Vegenaise or your favorite mayo. I like Vegenaise for the light, clean flavor and fresh ingredients. Find it in the refrigerated dairy section (even though it is non-dairy). I buy the organic style.
Finish your guacamole chicken salad with a little more lime juice, salt if needed, and enjoy.
Guacamole Chicken Salad
- 1 1/4 - 1 1/2 pounds cooked chicken breast
- 1 large ripe avocado
- 1 large celery rib, chopped fine 1/2 cup
- 1 small shallot finely chopped (2 tablespoons)
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 garlic clove peeled and finely chopped
- 1 lime juiced
- 2 tablespoons Vegenaise or your favorite mayonnaise
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
- For the chicken. If you are using leftover chicken, chop it into into small, bite-sized cubes with a sharp knife. If you are poaching raw chicken breasts, get them started. See the post link below for directions.
- Run a sharp knife edge around the center of the avocado lengthwise. Twist the halves in opposite directions and open the avocado. Remove the seed by lodging the sharp edge of the knife into the seed, then twist to remove. If this makes you nervous, hold the avocado half with the seed in a kitchen towel. Remove the seed. With a a small knife, slice a grid into the avocado flesh. See photo above for help. Then scoop the diced avocado into a medium bowl.
- Chop the celery, shallot, cilantro and garlic and add to the bowl. Add the lime juice and mix gently. Add the chicken and mayonnaise, mix gently, and season with salt and enjoy. If you have an extra lime you can serve wedges for people to squeeze over the top.