Creamy and a lovely green, this avocado basil dip is terrific for holiday entertaining, afternoon snacks, or a healthy nibble while watching the big game. Serve with a colorful assortment of raw vegetables. Whip up a quick batch in your food processor.
Creamy Avocado Basil Guacamole
Here is my latest favorite guacamole! I served this for a few parties recently and it was a big hit so I decided to post it for you. Avocados and basil? Yes. Avocados are good combined with just about anything.
Forget about just for parties because it's handy to have a batch in the fridge with some raw veggies as an afternoon snack. What a great way to up your vegetable game. Toss a few ingredients into a food processor and puree until smooth. It is so simple.
With a simple ingredient list, here's what you need to make this guacamole recipe:
- Plain Greek yogurt
- Basil leaves
- Salt and pepper
Eat the Rainbow with Raw Vegetables
The fancy name for a raw vegetable platter is crudités. Call it what you want, but don't wimp out and buy those sad little packages of pre-cut, tired, dried out vegetables at the market. Buy fresh, gorgeous produce and spend a few minutes cutting it up yourself. You will be happy you did and so will your friends.
Stand in the produce department and think COLOR. Choose whatever looks best and fresh such as red or yellow bell peppers, orange carrots, green broccoli, and crazy colors of radishes. And baby zucchini are a fun vegetable to add. If you can't get the baby ones (usually in a bag in the refrigerated produce section) get small regular zucchini and cut them into spears.
Try New Vegetables
Those lavender beauties that look like little fat carrots are called purple ninja radishes, from Babe Farms, a specialty vegetable grower in California. Look for fun and different options at the market. I'd never seen these before and they have a wonderful flavor. That peppery radish flavor but mild, not hot. They went great with the avocado basil dip.
Pale green endive leaves make great crunchy scoopers and the red version is called Treviso. Have fun and try some new veggies. If you need another great creamy dip, try our other favorite, Easy Smoked Salmon Dip. And if you love avocados, here are 20 ideas on what to do with avocados.
More Appetizers Ideas with Veggies
Avocado Basil Guacamole
- Food processor or blender
- 2 large ripe avocados peeled and seeded
- 1 5 ounce container plain unsweetened Greek yogurt or Vegenaise for DF
- 1 cup fresh basil leaves see swaps below
- ¼ teaspoon garlic powder or 2 cloves fresh, chopped fine and smeared smooth
- ⅛ teaspoon sea salt
- 1/16 teaspoon pepper preferably white
- ½ lemon or 1 whole lime juiced
- 2-3 carrots
- 2-3 heads endive
- 2 zucchini or a bag of baby zucchini 12 ounces
- 1 bunch radishes
- 1 red bell pepper
- 1 yellow bell pepper
- 1 small head broccoli
- sugar snap peas
- crackers or corn chips
- For the dip, place all ingredients in a food processor and puree until smooth, about 1 minute. Adjust the creaminess with more yogurt or a little more citrus, either lemon, lime or both.
- For the veggies, cut into bit sized pieces, arrange on a platter to serve