Sweet and rich with concentrated tomato and herbal flavors, these herb roasted cherry tomatoes are so easy to make. Really versatile too. Stir into quinoa, toss with pasta, spoon over roast fish or chicken breast. Ready in just 20-25 minutes in the oven. Its a great way to use sweet summer cherry or grape tomatoes.
Herb Roasted Cherry Tomatoes
Blue skies and sunshine. It was a warm summer day and we were driving through the south of France on a photography workshop to photograph the lavender fields. To pass time, we were talking with new friends about food, cooking and recipes to pass the time. Then I started telling them about my herb roasted cherry tomatoes.
As we drove, I described my roasted cherry tomatoes and how versatile they were. As it was too hard to write, my friend handed me her iPhone and I dictated the recipe.
Back home in California, she made the recipe from that dictation. I smile every time I think about that wonderful trip with rolling fields of lavender. Makes me want to jump right on a plane and fly back. One day, we will. It’s one of those things you can’t experience just once
The Lavender Fields of Provence
Summer in Provence means fields of purple lavender as far as the eye can see. It’s an incredible site. All of that lavender is used in a multitude of products from oils and fragrances, to soaps and lotions, and dried for culinary usage as in Herbs de Provence.
Herbs de Provence: Cooking with Lavender
Herbs de Provence is a classic Provencal dried herb blend common in Southern French households. It’s been around for hundred of years and is a staple in cooking.
Herbs de Provence is a salt-free blend that includes herbs indigenous to Provence: French thyme, savory, fennel, rosemary, marjoram, basil, lavender and tarragon. It works great with my oven roasted tomatoes along with or in place of the fresh thyme leaves.
When you roast cherry, sweet grape or other baby tomatoes, the roasting concentrates the flavors and amplifies their sweetness. The herbs add a savory edge.
Halve the tomatoes, toss with olive oil, a few cloves finely chopped garlic, a generous tablespoon of fresh chopped thyme leaves. Add a sprinkle of sea salt and ground black pepper. A teaspoon of Herbs de Provence is a nice addition, but it’s optional.
To roast tomatoes, line a on quarter sheet rimmed baking sheet with baking parchment. Roast for 20-25 minutes or until tomatoes are a shriveled and shrunken.
About Baking Parchment
If you are not familiar with baking parchment, its a great kitchen tool. Find it along side of the foil and plastic film at the grocery store (in rolls) or buy packages of pre-cut sheets at cooking stores, restaurant supplies and online at Amazon. I use the heavier rolled parchment for making chicken baked in parchment and the thinner pre-cut sheets to line baking sheets.
What To Do With Oven Roasted Cherry Tomatoes
- Use to top roast halibut, salmon or other fish
- Use to give delicious life to basic boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- Stir into Risotto or quinoa
- Toss with whole wheat, brown rice pasta or zucchini noodles
- Fill Portobello mushrooms as an appetizer or meatless main dish
- Spread on toasted baguette with goat cheese for an appetizer
- Spoon over an omelet or use as the filling
- Add them to a salad
- Top green beans or roast asparagus with a few spoonfuls for color and flavor
Herb roasted cherry tomatoes will last a week in the refrigerator, but they never seem to make it a week at our house. Good thing it’s easy to make a double batch (baking time is longer).
Oven Roasted Baby Tomatoes with Thyme
- 1 pound organic sweet baby tomatoes halved
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2-3 large garlic cloves finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon fresh chopped thyme leaves
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1-2 teaspoons dried culinary lavender or Herbs de Provence optional
- Pre-heat oven to 375 degrees. Cover a rimmed baking sheet with parchment or foil. Toss halved tomatoes with oil, garlic, herbs, salt and pepper. Spread tomatoes on the baking sheet and roast for 20-25 minutes until shriveled and edges are just starting to turn a bit brown. Timing will depend on your oven. I let mine go about 25 minutes on the convection setting.
- Serve warm, or cool. They will keep a week in the refrigerator.