Crisp, golden and lightly crusted: baked Parmesan potato wedges. Serve them for dinner along side roast chicken or for weekend breakfast or brunch. Cook potatoes a day ahead to save time.
Baked Parmesan Potato Wedges
It is said necessity is the mother of invention, and that works for recipes too. With a couple of large gold potatoes in the pantry that needed to be used, I decided to simmer them whole until tender and then put them in the fridge. That way they were at least cooked, but what to do with them? Potato salad? While I love it, Kent does not, so I had to come up with something else. The result? These crusty baked Parmesan potatoes.
Yukon Gold Potatoes
With golden yellow flesh and thin skin, Yukon golds were developed in Canada from a cross between a North American white potato and a wild South American yellow-fleshed potato.
You can find other gold potato varieties by names like Yellow Finn, Michigold, Donna, Delta Gold, Banana, and Saginaw Gold. Gold potatoes are between drier fleshed russets and waxier varieties. Yukon gold potatoes are a good source of vitamin C and potassium and can be part of a healthy diet. As potatoes are a starchy vegetable, choose them in place of other carbs such as rice or pasta, and enjoy them with plenty of non-starchy vegetables.
Choose large-sized potatoes for this recipe. Cover potatoes with cold water and simmer until tender when pierced with the tip of a sharp paring knife or when you can stick a fine metal skewer through. Drain potatoes, cool and refrigerate until chilled.
Bake to Finish
When ready to eat, slice the potatoes cross-wise into wedges about 1/2″ thick. Lay wedges flat on a parchment lined baking sheet, drizzle with olive oil and sprinkle with salt, pepper and granulated garlic, then a sprinkle of grated Parmesan cheese. Bake or broil until a golden, crisp crust is formed. To serve sprinkle with chopped chives.
For another tasty potato recipe try these herbed baby Dutch potatoes, little orbs of buttery delight!
Parmesan Potato Wedges
- 1 – 1 1/2 pounds large gold potatoes, peel on Yukon Gold
- 1 1/2 - 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon granulated garlic
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/8 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/3 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 tablespoon chopped chives optional
- Pre-heat oven to 425°
- Place potatoes in a large pot, cover with cold water and bring just to a boil. Turn heat down to gently simmer potatoes. Cook potatoes until tender when pierced with a sharp paring knife or a thin metal skewer. Drain potatoes, cool and refrigerate if making ahead.
- If eating right away, chill so they are easier to slice. Slice crosswise into 1/2″ wedges. Lay potatoes flat on a foil-lined baked sheet. Drizzle potatoes with olive oil, then sprinkle with garlic, salt and pepper, then finish with cheese.
- Bake until potatoes are hot, crisp and golden. If you need them faster, broil then in a pre-heated broiler until crisp and golden.