A nice change from sandwiches, turkey tortilla wraps wraps are easy to make. Fill tortillas with thinly sliced turkey and tomatoes, dark leafy greens and an avocado cream made with yogurt for a healthy lunch. Easily transportable, wraps work great for summer outings at the beach, park, stadium or road trip. Add watermelon wedges, fresh cherries or strawberries for a sweet and refreshing accompaniment. In cooler weather, add a cup of creamy homemade tomato soup.
Choose Your Wrap
Finding gluten-free tortillas for wraps these days is easy. My current preference is grain-free cassava tortillas from Siete Foods. They make smaller taco/enchilada size tortillas or wrap/burrito size. Find them in refrigerated or frozen sections at your market or check out their website.
Avocado Cream with Yogurt
To give the wrap a creamy filling that would help it hold together. I pureed a ripe avocado with plain nonfat Greek yogurt, lime juice, cumin, salt and pepper to make an avocado cream. Recipe here. Spread the avocado cream over your tortilla leaving a border at one edge so when you roll the wrap it doesn’t squish out. Then lay on the turkey, thinly sliced tomatoes (I use Roma or heirloom), a handful of dark leafy greens (lettuce or kale) and roll snugly.
Nitrates or Not?
On a shopping wisely note, there is a debate over sodium nitrate in our food supply. Sodium nitrate is used for preserving foods such as deli meats. It’s also a naturally occurring mineral in many vegetables (like carrots and celery) as well as leafy greens (spinach) and many fruits and grains. Some people say not to worry about it. The Center for Science in the Public Interest say it’s best to avoid it. Read and make your own decision.
If you’ll be eating on the go, cut them in half on the diagonal before wrapping. Use plastic film or parchment. One makes a great lunch for an adult and a half of a wrap may be enough for kids. Fill your plate with fresh summer fruit like cherries, grapes or strawberries. If you are eating at home, add a side green salad for a more substantial lunch.
Turkey Tortilla Wrap with Avocado Cream
- 1/2 ripe avocado
- 2-3 tablespoons plain Greek yogurt
- 2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
- a pinch of salt and pepper
- 2 sprouted whole grain or gluten-free tortillas
- 4 ounces slice deli-style turkey nitrate-free
- 1 large or 2 small roma tomatoes thinly sliced crosswise
- 2 handfuls dark lettuce greens, raw kale or spinach leaves
- In a food processor, puree the avocado, yogurt, lemon juice, salt and pepper until smooth. If you don’t have a food processor, mash the avocado well and mix with the yogurt until smooth and creamy. Set aside.
- Lay one tortilla on a flat surface, spread with avocado cream, layer on turkey slices, tomato slices and greens. Roll. Cut across on the diagonal and serve or wrap in plastic or parchment for transport. Keep refrigerated or well chilled in an ice chest. Eat within a few hours or they may get a little soggy.