As we start the New Year, its time to return to healthy, comforting foods to ward off the chill of winter and give us energy and strength. A bowl of steaming chicken noodle and vegetable soup is just the answer.
Nothing Like Soup
A hot bowl of soup warms us from the inside out, from head to toe. As you lean over a steaming bowl to slurp a spoonful, you breath in the goodness as the steam rises. Chicken noodle and vegetable soup is light, yet satisfying and nutritious.
The Daniel Plan Cookbook
This recipe is from The Daniel Plan Cookbook, released early on February 18, 2014. It’s available on Amazon. The Daniel Plan Cookbook is filled with over 100 easy, delicious recipes that help you to live a healthy life. It proves that healthy eating is not boring or about deprivation but about enjoyment and abundance.
The cookbook follows the principles of The Daniel Plan: 40 Day to a Healthier Life, a New York Times best-seller. It guides readers on how to harness the power of faith, food, fitness, focus and friends to create a healthy life, forever.
The Daniel Plan is not a diet, but a way of life. Weight loss happens to be one of the blessings, which many of the thousands of people who have followed this plan will attest to. Click the link above and it will take you to the full Daniel Plan site, so you can learn more.
Healthy Recipes For Life
The three New York Times best-selling authors, Pastor Rick Warren, brain expert Dr. Daniel Amen, and metabolism expert Dr. Mark Hyman, were joined by The Daniel Plan Signature Chefs – Sally Cameron, Jenny Ross and Robert Sturm – to create the cookbook. I also had the honor and blessing of writing much of the cookbook for this incredible team.
Every recipe is absolutely delicious, filled with life-giving, healthy ingredients. The cookbook also guides on how to build a healthy pantry, provides shopping tips, and information on how and why to choose ingredients. It’s not just a cookbook, but much more. There are wonderful side notes and tips throughout the book about how food is medicine.
Like Dr. Hyman, says, one of the most powerful tools we have to change our health is our fork.
I’ll write more about the cookbook as it gets closer to release. For now, enjoy this chicken noodle and vegetable soup recipe. It’s a great one to add to your New Year recipe repertoire.
The Daniel Plan Cookbook Chicken Noodle and Vegetable Soup
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 ribs celery, finely chopped
- 2−3 carrots, finely chopped
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 2-3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 teaspoons minced fresh thyme (or ¾ teaspoon dried thyme)
- 1 bay leaf
- Kosher or sea salt and
- Black pepper
- 2 quarts (64 ounces or 2 liters) chicken broth (for homemade see here)
- 1 large bone-in chicken breast (or shredded cooked chicken)
- 1 cup whole wheat or brown rice elbow pasta
- 1 tablespoon fresh parsley, finely chopped
- Add oil to a large pot over medium heat. Turn the heat down to medium low and add the celery, carrots, and onion. Cook until the vegetables are soft and translucent, 12−15 minutes. Stir in the garlic, and cook another 30−60 seconds. Add thyme, bay leaf, salt, and pepper.
- Remove skin and fat from chicken breast. Cut chicken breast crosswise through the bone into two pieces. Add the broth and the chicken breast to the pot. Bring to a boil, turn down to a simmer, and cook until chicken is cooked through, about 18 minutes.
- Remove chicken from the pot. Add the pasta, and simmer until pasta is tender. When chicken is cool enough to handle, shred the meat, and add back to the pot to warm.
- Remove the bay leaf. Add parsley. Ladle into warm bowls to serve.
For more information on The Daniel Plan and how it can help you to live a healthier life, please visit The Daniel Plan.com
If you are already following The Daniel Plan, here is a link to the Daniel Plan store for fun gear!
Subscribe via RSS or
This post contains links to Affiliate Programs, where I may receive a small commission for any purchases.