A few years ago I posted my recipe for an easy smoked salmon dip. It’s a recipe I make regularly. We photographed it prettily piped onto toasted slices of baguette, as I use it for catering and fancy events. The problem with that pretty shot is it makes it look fussy, and its not. It’s one of my go-to appetizer and snack recipes. So we bring this to you again, how we really eat it – as a dip. It goes together in minutes with a food processor. Serve with slices of cucumber and rice crackers.
Easy Smoked Salmon Dip
This is my “go-to” recipe when we have friends coming for dinner and for just plain snacking during the week. With a food processor, you can put this smooth and creamy dip together in just minutes. Horseradish gives it extra zing, the lemon a nice hint of lemon and the dill, fresh garden flavor. My favorite horseradish these days is made by Follow Your Heart products. You’ll find it in the refrigerated section of your grocer.
Spices – Smoked or Regular
For a wonderful smoky flavor, I use smoked paprika and smoked black pepper, but you can make it with regular paprika and black pepper. If you like smoky flavors, you’ll love working with these spices, available from Chefs Warehouse. Just follow the links. I use them in all sorts of dishes and can’t live without them in my pantry.
Versatile – Dip, Spread or Piped Mousse
Even though it’s quick to make, you can also make the dip a day ahead. It can be made to serve four (half recipe), or doubled or tripled to serve a crowd.
Smoked salmon dip is nice served with cool cucumber slices. My favorites cucumbers are the Persian type, but any cucumbers will work. Since we eat wheat-free, I serve with rice crackers, but you can use any cracker you like.
If you want to go fancy for an upscale party (maybe at the holidays), use a piping bag with a star tip (also a great way to hold it in the refrigerator). Serve on crackers, cucumber slices, endive spears, in little baked phyllo cups or on crostini. Use lemon zest, capers, red onion and fresh dill as garnish and beautiful flair.
Easy Smoked Salmon Dip
Smoked Salmon Dip
- 8 ounces smoked salmon
- 8 ounces cottage cheese
- 8 ounces whipped cream cheese
- 1 lemon, juiced save zest for garnish
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh dill save fronds for garnish, optional
- 1-2 tablespoons horseradish or more to taste
- 1-2 teaspoons smoked paprika or use regular sweet paprika, or more to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon smoked black pepper or regular black pepper
- cucumber slices
- red bell pepper strips
- endive leaves
- Capers, drained
- finely diced red onion
- Smoked paprika
- lemon zest
- dill fronds
- chopped chives
- Place all ingredients in the bowl of a food processor fitted with the steel knife. Process until smooth. Thin with a little milk or cream if needed for your preferred consistency. Creamy is good when serving as a dip. Stiff is better if you decide to pipe it. Adjust seasoning to your taste. Refrigerate overnight or until ready to serve.
- For serving, place in a bowl for spreading and dipping, or pipe onto crostini or bread slices.
This recipe halves easily for a small group, say 4 people as a dip.