Who doesn’t love a good casserole? A breakfast casserole is a comfort food kind if way to start the day. This one is easy to put together and a delicious solution for Easter breakfast, graduation brunch, or a spring wedding or baby shower. Just add a tossed green salad, some berries for dessert and you are ready to celebrate.
Vegetable Quinoa Breakfast Casserole
I used to make a breakfast casserole called a strata, but unfortunately stratas are made with bread. Even though I could use gluten-free bread, whole-grain quinoa is a better solution to give this breakfast casserole some oomph.
The steps are easy, and you can do your prep work ahead of time.
- Sauté veggies until soft
- Stir in cooked quinoa
- Add to an 8×8 casserole dish
- Top with goat cheese
- Pour on blended eggs
- Top with a little Parmesan cheese
- Bake in a good old 8×8 Pyrex glass baking or ceramic baking dish
Casseroles make for hassle-free and happy gatherings and they are easy on the cook.
Prep Ahead to Save Time
Cook the quinoa ahead of time and cool. You can do this three days ahead of time. Chop your vegetables the night ahead or in the morning before you plan to bake your casserole. This makes getting the casserole into the oven faster.
Complete the Menu
While the breakfast casserole is baking, whip up a vinaigrette for a tossed green salad. Use the ratio of 3 parts oil to 1 part vinegar and whisk until smooth. If you want to skip salad, another nice side is roast or steamed asparagus. Finish off with fresh sliced strawberries, or chocolate dipped ones for an extra special occasion.
- 1 1/2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 cup chopped onion (1 small onion)
- 1 cup red bell pepper, chopped (1 medium)
- 1 cup chopped leek, pale green and white parts only (1 medium)
- 1/3 cup chopped Italian parsley (1/2 bunch)
- 3/4 cup cooked and cooled quinoa
- 10 large eggs
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes (pizza pepper)
- 4 ounces crumbled goat cheese
- 1/3 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- Pre-heat the oven to 350°F. Spray an 8x8 glass or ceramic baking dish and set near the stove.
- In a large (12") fry pan or skillet over medium-low heat melt the butter. Add the onion, bell pepper and leek. Cook, stirring occasionally, until the vegetables are softened, about 5 minutes.
- Stir the parsley and the cooked quinoa into the pan, then layer the mixture into the sprayed baking dish. Top the vegetable mixture with the goat cheese crumbles and distribute evenly.
- Crack eggs into a blender and add the salt and both peppers. Blend on medium low speed for about 20 seconds until frothy. Alternatively you can whisk everything together in a bowl by hand. Slowly pour the eggs over the vegetables and quinoa. Sprinkle the Parmesan cheese over the top evenly.
- Bake casserole until golden brown on top and firm to the touch in the center, 40-45 minutes. Another way to tell if it is done is with a digital thermometer. It should read 160°F in the center. Remove casserole for the oven and allow to stand for a few minutes, then slice into 6 pieces and serve.