Here’s my latest tasty recipe for a chilly day, smooth and creamy cauliflower soup. This golden soup is gluten-free, dairy-free and gets that gorgeous color from curry powder. With just a few simple ingredients you can make this in no time. If you have an Instant Pot it’s mostly hands off but stovetop method works too. I use homemade chicken broth but choosing vegetable broth keeps it vegan if desired.
Smooth and Creamy Cauliflower Soup
I’ve had this recipe in my head for awhile and the first test batch came out terrific! Turmeric in the curry powder gives this soup its gorgeous golden color. The rich creaminess is from coconut milk and pureed steamed cauliflower florets. Onion, leek and garlic provide the aromatics, and broth helps it puree in a blender. It lasts in the refrigerator for 4 days so make it ahead on the weekend for the busy week ahead. I’ve been enjoying it for lunch. I have not tried freezing it yet because it hasn’t lasted that long, but I’m sure it would freeze fine.
Instant Pot Method
You can make this soup in either your Instant Pot or on the stove top. What’s nice about the Instant Pot is that it pretty much hands off and you can walk away. Saute the onion, leek, garlic and spices then add the cauliflower and broth using the “steam” setting (high pressure). It takes about 15 minutes for both the warm up and the cool down phases to get the pot to pressure then release (de-pressure) but just a few actual minutes of cooking.
Stove Top Method
For the stove top, follow the same direction just do it in a big pot on the stove top. Saute the veggies and when you add the cauliflower and broth florets, bring to a boil, cover with a lid, turn the heat to low and simmer until tender. For both methods, add the cooked vegetables to a blend and puree with coconut milk and water to thin as needed.
Curry Powder Notes
I’ve used both purchased curry powder and blended my own. Curious about what real Indian home cooks use, I called a friend and asked about how her family uses curry powder. Kaj explained that curry powder is really more of a British thing than and a true Indian thing. She told me sometimes they use curry powder with other spices and often use another blend, Garam Masala, but not usually just curry powder. I learned so much talking with her. Indian food is definitely about the spices! Choose what works best for you.
How to Serve
Creamy cauliflower soup is lovely served with a tossed green salad and a quick homemade vinaigrette plus some extra veggies for crunch. Be sure to toast some pumpkin seeds for the garnish. They taste good and are good for you.
Other Recipes to Try
Creamy Curry Cauliflower Soup
- Instant Pot (can also be made stove top)
- 1 tablespoon coconut or olive oil
- 1 cup chopped onion 1/2 a large
- 1 cup chopped leek 1/2 a large
- 2 garlic cloves chopped fine
- 2 teaspoons curry powder
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black or white pepper
- 2 medium heads cauliflower trimmed into florets 4 pounds raw, 2 pounds trimmed florets
- 2 cups chicken broth low to no sodium
- 1 cup canned coconut milk
- 1 cup water to thin soup
- 4 tablespoons raw or toasted pumpkin seeds (pepitas)
- 2 tablespoon chopped cilantro or flat leaf parsley
- Add the oil to the Instant Pot and press the saute button. Set timer for 4 minutes. When oil is hot, about 1 minute, add the onion and leek. Saute until soft, stirring occasionally. Add garlic 1 minute before timer is done. Add curry powder, salt and pepper, florets and broth. Lock lid on and turn the top valve to close. Press steam button and set timer for 5 minutes. It will take the pressure approximately 15 minutes to get to high. When timer completes, allow the pressure to release naturally for 15 minutes, then release any additional steam by turning the top valve open. When all steam is released, carefully open lid away from face.
- Place all vegetables and coconut milk into a blender and puree until smooth. If it's too thick, add the water to thin. Pour from the blender into bowls and serve. Garnish if desired. Soup keeps up to 4 days in the refrigerator. Reheat on the stovetop to serve.