What to do with all of those pretty eggs you’ve hard boiled for Easter? Make egg salad out of them then spoon it into lettuce cups for Egg Salad Lettuce Wraps. Egg salad is easy to make and can be done a day ahead of time, then fill leaves and enjoy. Radicchio provides beautiful color but you can use green butter lettuce leaves too.
Egg Salad Lettuce Wraps
Sure, you can cut hard boiled eggs in half and make classic creamy Deviled Eggs, but here is delicious and different option – egg salad piled into lettuce leaves that act as a wrapper. Egg salad lettuce wraps work well for Easter brunch or lunch, as a snack, or as part of a buffet alongside a platter of fresh fruit, muffins, bacon, and breakfast potatoes. A buffet like this would make an easy and stress-less Easter celebration meal.
Mayonnaise Options for the Dressing
For the dressing base, use your favorite mayonnaise or make your own for fantastic flavor. It’s a bit of work but worth it. Here’s my recipe for homemade mayonnaise. You can use the herbs or leave them out. The store-bought mayo I use in my kitchen is Vegenaise. It’s got a clean light taste that I love. Find it in the refrigerated dairy section. Another tasty option is mayo made with aquafaba, the liquid from canned chickpeas.
Make the Egg Salad
To make the egg salad, peel hard boiled eggs and cut in half lengthwise. Dice eggs and add to the bowl with the dressing. Add finely chopped celery and onion, plus fresh chopped dill. A squeeze of fresh lemon juice lifts and brightens the flavor. It’s that simple. For more kick, try adding a little horseradish.
It’s a Wrap
For wraps, you can use radicchio leaves for their gorgeous color. Radicchio is a leafy vegetable from the chicory family that has a slightly bitter-peppery bite to it. Cut out the core and peel off the leaves to fill with the salad. Napa cabbage leaves, small butter lettuce leaves, small iceberg leaves and endive leaves all work well as wraps or cups. You could also spoon it into avocado halves, or steamed, split and grilled artichokes to get really fancy.
For another wrap or lettuce cup recipe, try these ahi tuna salad cups. If you don’t like tuna, try it with tiny cooked bay shrimp.
Egg Salad Lettuce Wraps
- 1/3 cup Vegenaise or your favorite mayonnaise
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 6 hard boiled eggs peeled and chopped small
- 1 large rib celery chopped fine
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped onion or shallot optional
- 2 teaspoons fresh chopped dill
- 12 leaves Raddichio, butter lettuce, or napa cabbage or more as needed
- To a medium bowl add the Vegenaise, and lemon juice. Season with salt and pepper and taste. Adjust seasoning to your tastes preferences. Stir until smooth.
- Add chopped egg, celery, onion and dill. Fold together gently. Scoop into lettuce leaves and serve sprinkled with extra fresh dill if desired.