For when you need a cool, refreshing drink on a hot day, let me show you how to make watermelon water. Its easy, hydrating, and takes just a few minutes with a blender. Perfect for picnics, summer entertaining and barbecues. More than infused water, It's the taste of summer. A delicious alternative to sweetened iced tea, sugary soda, and sports drinks.
Watermelon water has other names too, like watermelon juice. Since it's hails from Mexican cuisine, it's also called agua de sandia or watermelon agua fresca. Simply a refreshing drink of pureed watermelon with lime juice, water if desired, and optionally a little sweetener. Most of the time it's not needed.
Why You'll Like This Recipe
- It's healthy and refreshing.
- Easy to make wtih a blender, no juicer required.
- Perfect for summertime when watermelon is at it's best.
- If you're a fan of drinks like Wtrmln Wtr or Mela Water’s watermelon water, make it homemade instead and save.
If you love summer melons, make these tasty little melon kabobs for snacks or a healthy dessert.
- Watermelon: Buy a ripe, red seedless watermelon, sometimes called a mini watermelon. See tips below for how to buy a watermelon.
- Lime: Lime juice adds a little tart balance to the sweetness of watermelon. Add as much or as little as you prefer.
- Water: If you want to add water, choose either filtered still (flat) or sparkling water.
- Sweetener: Most of the time it's not needed as a ripe watermelon is naturally pretty sweet. Taste the juice before adding anything. If you want a sweeter, watermelon flavor, add a bit of sugar, or use granular monk fruit or monk fruit based simple syrup for a natural no-sugar sweetening option.
Please see the recipe card for quantities.
Substitutions and Variations
- No limes? Use lemon juice, then it's more like a watermelon lemonade. Delicious.
- For an adult version, add a splash of white tequila, white rum, or vodka.
- For a watermelon slushie, freeze the watermelon cubes briefly then blend.
- Strain watermelon water for a smoother drink, or not.
For another terrific watermelon recipe, try these popular watermelon and goat cheese appetizers.
Chef's Tip: How to buy a good watermelon? 1) The melon should feel heavy for it's size meaning it's juicy watermelon with a high water content 2) Look for a creamy yellow to orange field spot. It's where the melon sat on the ground soaking up the sun. Creamy yellow to orange means it grew longer and should be more ripe and sweet. 3) Choose one free of bruises or scars. Minor scratches are ok, and look for a uniform shape. And what about tapping or thumping? Some swear by thumping or tapping watermelon, but it's not always consistent. If you do thump it, it should have a deep sound (versus hollow) when tapped or thumped. Here's a good article on buying watermelons.
Serve watermelon water well chilled or over ice in a glass. Have lime wedges available if people want to add more lime juice. Mint for garnish is pretty but not necessary. A small piece of watermelon is good too.
Make watermelon popsicles. Simply pour the watermelon water into popsicle molds and freeze. Great on a hot summer day!
If you have an electric juicer, try this watermelon cucumber juice recipe.
How to Cut Up a Watermelon
If you need help on how cut up a watermelon, read this post with helpful photographs.
Watermelon water is a refreshing summer drink providing vitamins A, C and B6, the amino acid citrulline, plus natural electrolytes potassium and magnesium, important for muscle and nerve function. Possibly the best benefit of watermelon is a phytonutrient called lycopene. As an antioxidant, lycopene provides heart health bone health, and anti-inflammatory benefits in that beautiful red color and is linked to a reduced risk for cancer and age-related eye disorders.
Watermelon water is basically what are called an aguas frescas or fresh waters in Spanish. It's traditional in Mexican cuisine and made with many fresh fruits. It's super refreshing. With fresh, ripe, seasonal fruit it's not needed. In some areas you'll see them sold by street vendors from carts.
Like cucumbers and other melons, watermelons are more than 90% water. Plus the natural minerals and sugar watermelon provides support hydration, perfect for a hot summer day. For more health benefits of watermelon here's a good article. Watermelon water can help with hydration.
When your away from home and can't make it yourself, the brand wtrmln wtr has no additives. When home, homemade beats brands and it is so easy to make! When you make watermelon water at home, there are no artificial flavors, artificial colors, or added sugar often in grocery store watermelon water.
More Terrific Summer Recipes
To help you beat the summer heat, here are a few ideas for more delicious summer recipes.
⭐️Did you Make This Recipe?
If you make this recipe, please add your comment. I enjoy hearing from you. If you loved it, please give it a 5-star rating! They really help other readers.
How to Make Watermelon Water
- 3 pounds seedless watermelon cubes from a 5 pound mini watermelon
- ¼-1/2 cup fresh squeezed lime juice 5-6 limes
- ½-1 cup filtered water still or sparking, optional
- If starting with a whole watermelon versus already chopped cubes, wash watermelon rind well. Slice a little off one end and stand the watermelon on the flat end and cut in half. Lay the halves flat and cut into slices. Remove the rind. Puree in a blender. Strain and discard pulp for a smoother drink or leave it in. Add lime juice. Add still or sparkling water if desired. Garnish with mint and lime slices.
- The melon should feel heavy for it's size meaning it's juicy watermelon with a high water content
- Look for a creamy yellow to orange field spot. It's where the melon sat on the ground soaking up the sun. Creamy yellow to orange means it grew longer and should be more ripe and sweet.
- Choose one free of bruises or scars. Minor scratches are ok
- Look for a uniform shape.
- And what about tapping or thumping? Some swear by the thumping method, but it's not always consistent. If you do thump it, it should have a deep sound (versus hollow).