Everyone loves recipes that are easy and quick to put together, healthy, and versatile in how you can use them. In honor of May being National Salad Month, I have two new salads for you. The first, a colorful, flavorful Southwestern Black Bean Salad. The second, which I’ll post soon, is a new “green” quinoa salad recipe with spinach, cucumber and herbs.
Southwestern Black Bean Salad Prep Tips
Start by making a lightly spiced vinaigrette to dress the salad. Combine olive oil, lime juice, cumin, garlic, salt and pepper. Whisk together and set aside. Next, drain and rinse canned black beans and place in a medium bowl.
For the corn, I generally use frozen, organic kernels and roasted if I can find them. Thaw under cold running water in a sieve, then steam for a few minutes to cook. Cool before adding to the beans. If fresh corn is available, cook 2-3 cobs for 3 minutes in boiling salted water and cut the kernels off the cobs.
For tomatoes, choose what looks the best. I usually go for Roma tomatoes because they are meaty. Cut the tops off, quarter them lengthwise, slice out the “guts”, cut into long strips, then crosswise into dice. These photos will help.
Lastly add the herbs, onion and diced avocado. Toss with dressing, and serve.
Ideas for Serving
- Serve as a side dish for grilled chicken, fish or shrimp
- Serve with your favorite burger, maybe a turkey burger
- Roll in a whole wheat or brown rice tortilla for a wrap
- Spoon into soft tortillas along with shredded cabbage (and a little cheese) for vegetarian tacos
- Serve along side baked corn chips as a snack or dip
- Package it up for a picnic or trip to the beach or pool
Southwestern Black Bean Salad
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 tablespoons fresh squeezed lime juice
- 2 cloves large garlic finely minced
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 2-15 ounce cans black beans 425 grams each, I buy Eden Organics
- 2-3 large Roma tomatoes diced
- 1 cup cooked corn kernels
- 1/3 cup finely diced red onion diced small 2 tablespoons fresh chopped cilantro
- 1 large firm, ripe avocado peeled, seeded, diced
- In a small bowl, whisk together the oil, lime juice, garlic, cumin and a little salt and pepper. Taste the vinaigrette and adjust to your taste preferences.
- Rinse and drain beans and add to a medium bowl. Add tomato, corn, red onion, avocado, cilantro and toss gently. Drizzle with a little of the vinaigrette and toss again. Taste and add more dressing if desired